Thursday, October 21, 2010

Friday Spotlight: Gala's Gourmet

Welcome to our next Friday Spotlight! Every other week, we feature a new interview from one of our TeamBPAL members.

This week, we interviewed Jessica of Gala's Gourmet. Let's go!



Tell us a little about the items in your shop. What do you make?
I make jams, jellies, butters, pickles, and hopefully in the near future some baked goods also.


What is your creative process?
Reading food blogs, and cookbooks. Looking at what's in season. Taking my favorite things and adding them to the local selection of fruits.


Which Etsy Teams do you belong to?
Just TeamBPAL!



Double-Spiced Apple Butter


When you are not creating things, what do you do?
Chase my little girl around, do some catering on the side, and work in the family business (light manufacturing of therapeutic magnetic products).

Tell us two random, interesting things about you.
I double majored in History and Psychology in college.
I love playing old school games (ie board, card, physical type – not really video or rpg kinds)

What has been your proudest moment since opening your Etsy shop?
Being sneakily promoted by my friend and author Cherie Priest on her blog.



Pear and Vanilla Butter


What advice would you give to artists who are new to Etsy?
Take good pictures! I have a hard time with this myself though. Jars of jam just tend to look visually boring to me no matter what I do to make the picture look better. But, when I'm shopping etsy, if you don't have adequate pictures of the product, I'm on to look for something else.


What handmade possession do you cherish?
I have quite a few actually, a quilt from my grandma, blankets from friends for my daughter, a purple hat from a friend, an art quilt from a family member, photography from other friends, a handmade board game based on the tv show Firefly, hand carved goddess statue and pottery from Nicaragua. All of them have very special meaning to me.


If you could have any item on Etsy regardless of price, what would it be?
Right now it's not something terribly expensive, but it's something I would like to have to complete my steampunk costume for a con next spring: Green Velvet Steampunk Button Tab Corset.

What other skill or talent do you wish you could possess, if you had not taken this creative path?
I have a fist full of hobbies, I could happily spend my time doing any of them. Plus, I want to learn to play mandolin.




Where else can we find you on the web?
Gala's Gourmet on Facebook
twitter.com/galasgourmet
Galatea's Glamouries blog

That's all for this time! Have a wonderful autumn weekend and we will return in two weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP