Friday, March 26, 2010

Friday Spotlight: Dark Side of the Sun

Hello, and welcome to the first of our bi-weekly Friday Spotlights! Every other week, we will feature a new interview from one of our TeamBPAL members. We are starting this off with none other than the instigator behind this whole TeamBPAL thing. (We'll meet her co-conspirator next time!)

Let's learn a little more about Mel of Dark Side of the Sun.



Tell us a little about the items in your shop. What do you make?
I make jewelry...mostly chainmaille. I'm inspired by music, video games, chaos, life. I can be inspired staring out the window, watching tv, or going for a bike ride. Some of my favourite pieces have been mistakes.

What is your creative process?
I have random bursts of inspiration and then construct pieces in my head, unsure of whether they'll work or not when I sit down to make them. Sometimes I go and sit in my work room (I call it The Cave) and stare at wire until something comes to me. When it comes to my work, I have one rule: I don't make anything that I wouldn't wear myself.

Which Etsy Teams do you belong to?
TeamBPAL, Chainmaillers' Guild, and Etsy Texas Crafters.



Malcolm



When you are not creating things, what do you do?
I go to school, which eats a huge chunk of my time. I also have a 5 year old who insists that she's a rock star. My first love is music though, so I go to a lot of concerts, though not as many as I used to. Oh, and I do this whole TeamBPAL thing, too. ;)

Tell us two random, interesting things about you.
I have 7 pet rats. 2 are babies, 4 are hairless, and one is a "fancy" rat. They've all got distinct personalities, and I look forward to finding out what the babies will be like.

Just about everything I learn, I've taught myself. I love learning new things, but taking classes isn't for me. I like the challenge of figuring things out for myself. Sometimes the method taught in a class isn't necessarily the easiest way to do something. By teaching myself, I can figure out the best way for me to do something and not have to worry about the instructor telling me that I'm doing it wrong.

What has been your proudest moment since opening your Etsy shop?
As silly as it sounds, getting this team started. It really did start as Coldie and I talking about how we needed a team for all of the talented BPAL people. The way that everyone pulled together to make it happen was just amazing.



Love/Hate Heartbreak



What advice would you give to artists who are new to Etsy?
Probably to get involved in the etsy forums. There's a lot of good information, and great people there. It also helps to get your shop out there.

If you could have any item on Etsy regardless of price, what would it be?
Your Song Ring. I don't know what song I would want on it, but I love the idea.

What other skill or talent do you wish you could possess, if you had not taken this creative path?
It's really not safe for me to want another skill. If I decide that I'd like to do something, I'll learn how to do it. I have far too many "useless" hobbies as it is. I think adding another may drive everyone nuts!



Where else can we find you on the web?
Dark Side of the Sun on Facebook and Blog

Thanks for the interview, Mel! Have a great weekend, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP